Friday 5 December 2014

Stretch yourself.

As much as I would like to be a full time writer I have to face the grim reality of a full-time job in order to pay the bills and feed the family. Somehow, I’m not really sure how, I ended up doing what I do, I work as a support worker in a day centre for adults with learning disabilities http://www.outreach3way.org/. Having had numerous jobs over the years, I get bored easy, and running my own graphic design company I now have one of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had. No two days are the same, and none go to plan.
Each year the people we support put on a pantomime at the local theatre, this year it is a mash up of A Christmas Carol and Dr. Who – A Christmas Travel. As a writer I have been interested in the development of the play. Sam, the author and drama teacher has done it all by herself, as usual, and is now beating everyone into shape. So why am I writing about it? Well, I went to help out in one of the drama classes and ended up with a role – the lead one. I have been cast as the Doctor. To begin with it was all a bit of fun. I have never done drama, I have tried public speaking but learning lines and how to deliver them, seriously!
I now have a healthy respect for actors. Learning lines is tough, especially when they are not of your choosing. I’m used to shaping the story, creating the dialogue and directing the course of events. But, this time none of it is of my choosing. Most of my fellow actors have learning disabilities, seeing them go through the motions of learning lines whilst dealing with all of their normal frustrations is reward in itself. Nothing is going to make it any easier for me to stand in front of 125 people and give four performances any easier, though I am well supported by all those around me.
There is one huge personal benefit for me from all of this: I’m a people watcher, it is how I build my characters from the ground up. Seeing people trying to become someone else has been incredibly interesting. I admire all of the people I support on a daily basis, they deal with far more than I could ever cope with and here they are willingly adding something more to their mountain of daily issues. If anything could ever inspire you they could.
As for writing, well, I’m still plugging away at the sequel to Yong Warlock. I should have it done by the middle of next year. Fire and Thorn continues to follow the young warlock as he seeks to unite the troll tribes, though he is not allowed to reveal his quest to anyone. Young Warlock is currently free on Amazon with a price match.
As it’s nearly Christmas I have a signed copy of my novel for one (lucky) reader, and 10 copies in any ebook format.

Thanks for listening and have a Merry Christmas. Oh, I almost forgot. This year's panto will be on at The Hawth Theatre in Crawley, West Sussex. UK on the 11th and 12th December 2014, wish us all luck. Ticket info is here http://bit.ly/18jluzp